MBBS in Canada
Among the English speaking countries, MBBS in Canada is the most economical choice that can be made to pursue studies but MBBS admission is Canada is also the most competitive in the world due to large number applicants applying for this country and least number of seats for international applicants. MBBS in Canada is a perfect study destination for Indian medical aspirants as it has premium medical schools to provide quality education along with highly qualified and experienced faculty. Medical schools in Canada provide opportunities for hands on experience under guidance the best faculty and trained personnel, exposure to various new techniques and opens doors for research opportunities.
Pre-requisites to study MBBS in Canada
- Like USA, MBBS in Canada requires the candidate to be a Bachelor’s degree holder in the field of Science to be eligible to apply.
- Most Western Canadian Medicine faculties require at least 2 years and that in Ontario require at least 3 years of university study before the application can be made to medical school in Canada.
- Admission offers are made by the medical schools on the basis of Personal Statement, undergraduate record (GPA), autobiographical sketch, Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores and the interviews.
- International students applying for bachelors in Canada must also qualify IELTS or TOEFL exam to validate the language proficiency. For an undergraduate course a min of 6.5 bands is required in IELTS and a score of minimum 80 required in case of TOEFL. Medical programs in Canada generally vary from 3 to 5 years courses post the bachelors.
- For pursuing MBBS in Canada in cities like Quebec, 10+2 qualification must be accompanied with 1 year diploma course is CEGEP (public funded post secondary education pre-university, exclusive to the education system of Quebec).
As said, MBBS in Canada is a preferred choice of Indian medical aspirant over any other part of the world despite of huge competition. Here are the advantages as to why MBBS in Canada has become the top choice of Indian medical aspirants
- The medical schools in Canada providing MBBS in Canada are the Schools having a reputation in the country as well as around the world. It has some of the top-ranked medical schools of the world providing quality education to its students. Just the name of graduating school can bring some handsome job offers along with reputation
- Since the literacy rate is high and the medical schools have highly qualified faculty to teach, the students have an advantage to learn exceptionally well under the right mentorship.
- Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live with all essential facilities need for a good living. It provides abundant opportunities to study work and live in the country making life comfortable
- People from almost all corners of the world are living in Canada. It is a land with diversity and multicultural society. One gets to learn plenty during stay.
- Since English is one of the official languages of the country, there is no language barrier that the students will have to face. Most of the people in Canada speak and understand English.
- The renowned universities of Canada offer MBBS in Canada and award with degrees to students that are recognized globally. Students graduated from Canada are eligible to write the prominent licensing examinations of their own country as well as most countries abroad. Also the universities in Canada encourage research.
- Canada is among those countries that have liberal work policies and permits thereby allowing the medical graduates with opportunities to work in Canada up on finishing their degree.
- Canadian medical schools have different kind scholarships to be offered to the students willing to pursue MBBS in Canada. This lowers their cost of education in a highly developed economy.
- Canada has a pool of opportunities to offer to its students’ right after their studies with comfortable lifestyle. Students get ample opportunities to work, study, research etc. Students can opt for any as per their needs.
Most Canadian has only few seats which are filled in by the national or the PR candidates of the country. Only a few medical schools in Canada accept international students for MBBS in Canada. There are 17 medical schools in Canada out of which on 7 medical schools take international enrollments. Most of these schools take admissions via contacts with foreign governments. The remaining that take the admissions directly have only 1-3 seats of international medical aspirants. Hence, securing the seat in Canadian Medical schools is highly competitive. A list of 17 Medical Schools in Canada is as under.
1.The University of Alberta: The university does not accept international students
2.Cumming School of Medicine: The university does not accept international students
3.University of British Columbia: The university does not accept international students
4.University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine: The university does not accept international students
5.University of Manitoba: The university does not accept international students
6.Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine: The university does not accept international students
7.Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry: The university does not accept international students
8.University of Northern Ontario - The university does not accept international students
9.Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine - he university has a limit to accept few international enrollments with a fee approximately C$96,000 per year
10.McGill University Faculty of Medicine – The university has 2 seats for international applicants and the fee is approximately C$34,000 per year
11.Université de Sherbrooke – The university has only 1 seat for international student at C$30,000 per year
12.Université Laval – The university can accept up to 3 international applicants with fee approximately C$30,000 per year
13.Université de Montreal - The university does not accept international students
14.Memorial university of Newfoundland Faculty of Medicine – The university has a limit to accept few international enrollments with a fee approximately C $30,000 per year
15.University of Ottawa – The university of Ottawa accepts only PR and Canadians applicants only
16.Queens School of Medicine - The university has a limit to accept few international enrollments with a fee approximately C$84,000 per year
17.University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine- The university of Ottawa accepts only PR and Canadians applicants only.
Canadian medical studies are affordable as compared to other countries like UK or US. On an average, a student needs to spend C$30000- C$40000 per year. Though the medical studies in Canada are cheap as compared to other English speaking countries and are the most cost effective option available for Indian medical aspirants. The living expenses in Canada are high. The living expenses vary from region to region and city to city. An average living expenses cost around 880$-930$ per month for a student excluding rent. The student must plan the expenses well in advance to avoid any hassles faced in future.