Study MBBS in Italy
- Medical Universities approved by the Ministry of Education Affairs, Kazakhstan & Medical Council of India- 12
- Minimum Eligibility50% in 10+2 (PCB)
- NEET EligibilityMandatory
- Course duration- 4.8 Years
MBBS in Italy
Located in the South-central Europe, Italy is a peninsula surrounded by various islands. Italy shares its borders with France, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Vatican City and San Marino. The ancient city of Rome is the capital of Italy. Italy is the third most populous country of the European Union. Historically, Italy has been home to myriad people and cultures due to its geographical location. Despite of being one of the ancient countries, it is also one of the most developed one in the European Union. The fashion industry of Italy is known to the world. Around 35% of the Italian territory is a mountainous terrain. The Apennine Mountains stand high as the peninsula’s backbone. Italy’s highest point is located on the Mont Blanc and the Alps range constitutes most of its northern boundary. Italy has 14 volcanoes out of which 4 are active. Climate in Italian region is highly diverse. The climate ranges from humid subtropical to humid continental and oceanic in the northern and central regions. The Po Valley region mostly experiences continental climate with harsh winters and hot summers. The coastal areas and most of the Southern Italy has Mediterranean climate where the coastal areas on the high altitudes are cold, wet and often snowy. The lower coastal regions have mild and warm winters with generally dry summers. The lowland valleys can be very hot during summers. The average winters temperature ranges from 0°C to 12 °C in the Alps while that of summers goes higher to 20°C-25°C. The northern area is long, foggy and snowy periods while in the south it is mild. Summers are hot and humid in the country while springs and autumns are often accompanied with thunderstorms.
Italy has the world’s 8th largest economy and is the world’s 6th largest manufacturing country. Italy alone represents over 500 million consumers of the European market. The common currency of Euro was introduced in 2002 by Italy. Coming to the tourism, it is the 5th most visited country of the world as per 2016 reports. The population of Italy includes about 10% of Romanian citizens of the total population followed by the Albanians and Moroccans apart from the major Italian population. As of 2016 reports, about 5.5 million international students constituted 8.3%b of the total population in Italy. Italian is the official and the most spoken language of the country. The other minority recognized languages spoken in the country include Albanian, German, Catalan, Greek, Slovene, French, Croatian, Franco-Provencal, Ladin, Friulian, Sardinnian and Occitan. Romanian, Arabic and Spanish respectively are the 3rd, 4th and the 5th most commonly spoken languages. Roman Catholic Christians constitute the major part of the population.
Education is Italy from 6-16years is free and mandatory. The 5 stages of education include- kindergarten, primary school, lower secondary school, upper secondary school and the university. The first 8 years of the education are spent in primary education where basic education of Italian, English, natural sciences, mathematics, history, geography, physical education, social sciences music and visual arts is given. The secondary education involves the next 5 years and then the university. As of 2019, 33 universities of Italy ranks among the top 500 of the world.
Study MBBS in ITALY
Off lately, awareness among the students has been created to study MBBS in Abroad. Students who are unable to get a seat in India due to any reason are no more willing to waste their years of hard work and studies waiting to get admission in medical college in India. Such students have learnt about the advantages of studying MBBS is Abroad. With such awareness MBBS in Italy has boomed up as a hot spot for the study of medicine. Considering the facts that Italy has some of the oldest universities of the world that still rank among the top 500, offers education at a very low cost compared to countries like USA, UK and many European countries, grants scholarships upto 100%, students are very keen to study MBBS in Italy. Italy offers a MBBS course that lasts for 6 years and an admission to MBBS in Italy can be sought right after the completion of high school/10+2 or equivalent. The applications for MBBS in Italy start as early as in the months of April, admissions in the month of May/June and academic session in the month of September/October.
Why MBBS in Italy
There are lots of reasons why students are choosing to pursue MBBS in Italy. Just to mention a few, we will list here
- Italy is a hub of some of the world’s top raked universities
- Italy offers world class education and is a member of 26 countries of Schengen Area. The students here get Schengan visa and can travel to any Schengen countries without a need to separate visa
- Students qualifying MBBS in Italy are eligible to practice in any of the 26 Schengen countries but the local language is to be learnt
- Universities teaching MBBS in Italy offer upto 100% scholarship to international students. This scholarship is family income based and not based on student’s marks in 12th & NEET
- One is eligible for MBBS in Italy without any IELTS unless the medium of instruction during the schooling had not been English. For an entry to MBBS in Italy, IMAT (International Medical Admission Test) must be qualified
- Application process for MBBS in Italy is very simple and not cumbersome like those of UK, USA and some other European countries
- Italy awards MBBS degree that is internationally recognized. Students doing MBBS in Italy are eligible for licensing examinations of various countries including FMGE
- MBBS in Italy is a 6 years course and the entry to it is right after 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board
- With universities as old as over 100 years, they have rich and vast experience in teaching, have practical teaching methods and a high level of education
- MBBS in Italy starts at a low package. Average tuition fee in any university in Italy is 1000-1500 Euros per year. It goes even below if one is granted scholarship
- Living cost in Italy is also affordable. An average person needs to spend 20,000-25,000/- per month for his living
- Some courses in Italy offer 1 year post study visa which means the student can stay in the country and work for 1 year post his studies
- Italy is an old country with ancient history. Students get to explore a lot and learn about the rich culture of the country
Eligibility for MBBS in Italy
- A student must have scored 50% in 12th or equivalent from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as compulsory subjects. A relaxation in percentage upto 40% has been given to SC/ST/OBC candidates
- A student must be 17 years of age as on 31St December in the year of applying for admission
- NEET qualification is mandatory
- A student must qualify IMAT (International Medical Admission Test) to be eligible to apply for MBBS in Italy.
Documents required for MBBS in Italy Admission
- 10th marksheet
- 12th marksheet
- Passport size photograph (against white background)
- NEET score card
- Police Verification
- IMAT Score
- Bank Statement showing the liquidity of funds
Documents required to be submitted while applying for a scholarship for MBBS in Italy
Apart from the above-mentioned documents, Income-based documents as supporting proofs are required to be submitted for the scholarship. The scholarship form can be filled online and a soft copy of the income documents can be uploaded. The same documents must be submitted by the student upon his arrival in Italy. Once submitted and scrutinized, the scholarship is awarded to the student and the amount reflects in the student’s Italian bank account. The expert counsellors at Jagvimal Consultants help you to fill the Scholarship form online and upload the supporting documents. Being experienced in the field of overseas admissions, the experts here can guide you at every step and lower your chances of mistakes which otherwise could happen while filling the form. The scholarship is income-based and not score based. Hence, utmost care must be taken while preparing income documents. Documents required to avail scholarship for MBBS in Italy are:
- Family income certificate
- Property Certificate
- Bank Certificate
- Declaration of Value
The above documents have to be attested, apostle and must have signature of the government official. The documents must also be translated to Italian before they are being submitted. A hard copy of the same documents is to be submitted by the student upon his arrival in Italy. Not all universities grant scholarship. Most of the public universities in Italy award scholarship upto 5200 Euros that cover the Tuition fee and accommodation fee. Food to students availing scholarships is also available at discounted prices. The student is required to pay 140 Euros for Regional tax and fees like the examination fee, library and book which ranges from 500Euros to 3500 Euros.
International Medical Admission Test, also referred to IMAT is an aptitude test conducted by Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) in conjunction with Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing that conducts various tests for admission to universities in UK. IMAT is an aptitude test and is a part of admission process to medical universities in Italy offering MBBS in English medium and granting admission to international students.
The current IMAT format consists of 4 parts
Section 1 - Logical Reasoning & General Knowledge- This section comprises of 22 multiple choice questions, each having 5 options and aims to test the problem solving skills, understanding, general knowledge, data analysis and inference skills in a candidate.
Section 2, 3 & 4 - Scientific Knowledge- This section comprises of 38 multiple choice questions, each having 5 options of answers and aims to test the application of scientific knowledge by the student learnt during the school. The section has 18 questions of Biology, 12 questions from Chemistry, and 8 questions for Physics and mathematics.
In all the test comprises of 60 questions and the test duration is 100 minutes. The maximum score for IMAT is 90 where each correct answer carries 1.5 marks. Each correct answer yields 1.5 marks, 0 for a blank answer and 0.4 points are deducted for every incorrect answer. Each section score is calculated separately, compiled and then ranked.
In case two students achieve the same score, the one scoring high is logical reasoning and general knowledge will be ranked higher. If both the candidates score the same in Section 1, then the one scoring higher in Biology, followed by Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics will be ranked higher. If the score in each of these sections still remains the same, then the candidate holding English proficiency certificate (IELTS/TOEFL) will be ranked high. In case, there is a tie again, then the younger one (in age) will earn an advantage and will be scored higher.
IMAT takes place in the month of September every year and the result of the same can be expected within 2-3 weeks. The registrations for IMAT start in June/July and the fee for IMAT costs 140 Euros. Registration to IMAT can be done only via the university website and the last date is usually in the 3rd or 4th week of July. IMAT exam is scheduled in September.